Friday, June 3, 2011

Easy Thin Crust Pizza

 thin crust pizza with broccoli florets and onion

I've tried several times to make a good, thin-crust pizza and mostly I've failed. This is due to my aversion to baking and my tendency to wing recipes (if I even follow them at all). Baking is different than cooking, for sure, and while there's chemistry in both, I find that I can put together a really nice meal much more easily than I can bake anything from scratch. I'm working on it, though, and I've found a good, thin crust pizza dough recipe that's difficult to screw up. I got the recipe from food.com and it's easy and quick; no rolling pin required, no overnight refrigerating.

I've used this recipe twice, and I think the secret is making sure the crust is thicker around the perimeter so it's nice and thin everywhere else. Also, it seems to be a good idea to pre-bake the crust for 5 (rather than 10) minutes. I haven't tried it without pre-baking, yet.

So far, I've only made veggie pizzas, which can make everything more soggy. My solution? Put down the cheese first, and don't overload it with veggies. A pepperoni pizza will crisp a lot more easily, and I plan to make one of those, soon. Also, I'm going to experiment with the crust a bit and see how it goes.

Sauce:
Saute 1 clove garlic (pressed or diced) in oil, on low heat for 5 minutes. Add a 15oz. can of plain tomato sauce, a few shakes each of dried oregano, basil and crushed red pepper, 1/4 tsp sugar. Cook on low for an hour or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment